TAMK University of Applied Sciences and PIRAMK University of Applied Sciences will merge at the beginning of 2010.
The name of the new university will be TAMK University of Applied Sciences. In addition to the city of Tampere, the new TAMK will operate in Ikaalinen, Mänttä-Vilppula and Virrat. The merged UAS will have almost 9000 students.
The most popular UAS in Finland
In the joint application of spring 2009, TAMK and PIRAMK were the two most popular among the Finnish universities of applied sciences. In the joint application to youth education, TAMK had on average 4.8 primary applicants and PIRAMK 5.2 primary applicants per study place. The Finnish average was 3.3 primary applicants per study place.
The new TAMK offers degree programmes in seven out of eight different Finnish fields of stydy:
- Natural Sciences
- Social Sciences, Business and Administration
- Technology, Communications and Transport
- Natural Resources and the Environment
- Social Services, Health and Sports
- Tourism, Catering and Domestic Services
In practice, the both universities are already working together in many areas, like research and development. A joint web site to support the application period for degree programmes run in English will be launched in September. The application period starts in January.
The Bachelor's programmes run in English are
- Degree Programme in Environmental Engineering
- Degree Programme in International Business
- Degree Programme in Media
- Degree Programme in Nursing
- Degree Programme in Social Services
- Degree Programme in Tourism
Photo: It takes two to TAMK is a newsletter reporting about the preparations of the merger.